WALTHER HERWIG III
The ship is named after Walther Herwig (1828-1912) the “father” of German high sea fishery and the co-initiator of European and internationally coordinated fisheries research.
With a length of nearly 65 m, the WALTHER HERWIG III is the largest of the three German fisheries research vessels. The stern trawler with a slade is used in those sea areas with deep offshore fishing (North Sea, Baltic Sea and the north Atlantic), the research cruises generally last between two and seven weeks. Pelagic and bottom trawl nets as well as plankton nets and other catching equipment are used. With its seven laboratories, refrigeration chambers and oceanographic sensors, the ship offers the mostly multi-institute team a variety of work possibilities. The ship is at sea about 280 days a year.
The WALTER HERWIG III, first brought into service in 1993, will be replaced in 2017 with a larger newly built vessel which then fulfills all of the requirements for the multi-disciplinary gathering of data as needed for modern, integrated considerations of the ocean ecosystem.
The Walther Herwig III at a glance
|Year of Construction:||1993|
|Owner:||Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture, managed by BLE|
|Operator:||Thünen-Institute, Max Rubner-Institute|
|Port of Registry:||Bremerhaven|
|Nautical Crew:||21 Members|